Sunday, August 31, 2008

What a night...

Those of you who have played any of the Grand Theft Auto series of games should be familiar with the term 'Wasted', which appears when you die in the game. That was exactly what happened to me on August 29, 2008 - except for the dying part. What was initially supposed to be a mini pre-birthday gathering at Jazz@Southbridge eventually turned out to be DrunkFest 2008.

Jazz@Southbridge is this established jazz joint situated at Boat Quay just next to Elgin Bridge. With a live band playing everything jazz from mainstream to bossa nova, plus a nice cosy atmosphere, it has been my favourite haunt for some years now and I thought it'd be the perfect place to have the above-mentioned gathering to celebrate my upcoming 24th birthday. The gathering started out well with some light beer and finger food, the usual banter and an unexpected mini celebration courtesy of the band, for which I'd like to thank Alemay, Eddie, Bruno and the drummer (didn't catch his name). And did I mention the great music they played that night? Wave by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Awesome.



Everything was going real well... then the Flaming Lamborghini appeared. I thought, "What the heck, it's my birthday." I conquered it and started to feel my engine revving up. Ok, no problem man. On with the gathering and chit-chat and live music and hmm, what do we have here... WHAT THE. 5 x Tequila shots. WHO THE. Oh man. By then, I was feeling a bit high from the Lamborghini and also infused with some bravado so I gulped down the 5 shots almost consecutively. A few minutes later, I was almost at the gates of La-La Land. I was now really high but could still converse although my do-you-know-what-the-hell-is-happening senses were at like 25% efficiency. The gathering carried on and with my impaired senses, I eventually lost track of time - and didn't notice the Waterfall. At this point of time, I was already flying into La-La Land. Even while typing this sentence, I can only vaguely remember downing that Waterfall. I don't even know what it tasted like. Everything after that was just a barf- I mean, blur.

The next thing I remember was waking up at 5:30AM on my bed. My throat was like the Sahara and I kept trying - and failing - to piece up the missing void in my memory. I somehow managed to get up, walk to the kitchen, and grab a glass of water. And barf. I then made my way to the toilet, brushed my teeth (I took 2 tries to put the toothpaste onto my toothbrush) and took a nice hot shower before KO'ing on the bed.

I woke up again later at about 10:30AM and realized I was in a total shit condition. I was totally WASTED. So this is what a hangover feels like.



I made my way to the toilet and saw toothpaste sprawled all over the sink. Oooh... so that's why I took 2 tries... Anyway, the rest of the day was just rest, recovery, more barfing and the shocking revelation of the night before (after finding out about it from my friends) which I shall not go into detail haha...

What a night. What a celebration. What a hangover.

Friends, thanks for coming down to celebrate. I really hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did! (post-Waterfall period not counted)

Thanks a lot for the presents too; the chocs, B-Wing and running gear are all AWESOME!

No comments: